When I tried on my wedding dress for the first time in a bridal gown shop, I knew, This is the one. I had only tried on two dresses before this gown, and I had an entire closet-full on gowns waiting for me in the dressing room. But, brides, trying on a wedding gown can sometimes be that easy. You try it on, and you feel beautiful. That’s all you really need.
My gown had added elements that I liked as well. Of course, I didn’t know what those were at the time.
When I walked in for my appointment, my bridal consultant asked me to define the features that my ideal wedding dress would include. I didn’t know. She then asked me to describe my favorite dress, out of all the dresses I’d worn in recent years.
“Well, it had bunches in the skirt, like this,” I said, grabbing a handful of material from a nearby gown.
“So you like pick-ups?” she said.
“Yeah,” I said, then looked at her. “I think so. Is that what you call them?”
Through conversation, my consultant transformed my absolute cluelessness into definitive ideas for my wedding appearance. I learned new terms, like ruching, and I discovered that choosing a wedding dress isn’t actually as difficult as I feared it would be.
Las Vegas brides, the same can be true for you. You can find a dress without stress and without even knowing the difference between a Mermaid, a Goddess, or an Empire bridal gown silhouette. If you’re an easy-going bride who is looking for a simple search, then take note of these wedding dress tips for your first appointment.
- Ask your consultant: As a bridal gown specialist, your consultant can help you discover what you like (and don’t like) in dresses. Also, since she knows her products, she’ll be able to tell you what kind of customizations are possible for each gown to give you that ideal look.
- Be confident in your beauty: This doesn’t mean be arrogant. Rather, just be comfortable with who you are. When you’re content in your own skin, you’ll be able to look in the mirror and decide if you like this particular dress, rather than spend time criticizing your natural features.
- Don’t put yourself in a box: While you may know what looks best on your body, be open to new styles. If you do experiment, remember to never judge a dress until you’ve tried it on. You never know! Your best bridal gown could be waiting on a rack of styles you’ve never considered.
- Love it and leave: Once you find a gown that makes your jaw drop, take note of it. Do you love the style? Do you feel beautiful? Will your fiancé love how you look? If you said, “Yes!” then that’s your gown. Once you feel gorgeous and confident, don’t second-guess yourself in hope of proverbial greener pastures. You feel beautiful! That’s what it means to be a bride.
- It’s okay not to know: Sometimes even the most well-intentioned, easy-going brides don’t find their perfect dresses in their first appointments. That’s okay. This is a big decision. If you don’t feel that it’s right, then walk away. Schedule a follow-up appointment, or choose to explore another store.
Las Vegas brides, to start your searches for those ideal gowns, take a look at this list from Bridal Spectacular: Find Las Vegas wedding dress stores. You’ll discover the store locations and contact information you need to schedule your first appointment. Then you’re officially on your way! Have fun and enjoy your experience!
Author: Allyson Siwajian © 2011
Photograph: Jamison Frady of Quiet Art Photography © 2010 (Photo used by permission.)